The Turkey Drive will benefit Open Door’s Community Food Ministry’s Holiday Food Box.
Make someone’s holiday special by helping us raise $15,000 in November to purchase the extra side items needed for a holiday meal, for both November and December. Go to the Food Ministry on the date and time listed above if dropping off side items. In past years, Open Door has provided a Thanksgiving Food Box to 2,300 households in our community, estimating 5,750 individuals.
Food drop-off location:
Open Door’s Food Ministry
Building at 2130 E. 21st N. Wichita, KS 67214
Mail your donation:
Open Door/Turkey Drive
P.O. Box 2756 Wichita, KS 67201
Click the button below and set the turkey drive as the designation
View the Turkey Drive Shopping List
Here is a “shopping list” of the items needed by the United Methodist Open Door’s Community Food Ministry Turkey boxes. Please do not feel obligated to purchase all the items on this list, but any help you can provide will go a long way and is appreciated.
Canned Vegetables & Fruits (Corn, Sweet Potatoes, Pears, Peaches, Pineapple, Apricots, Green Beans)
Pies (pumpkin, lemon, apple)
Pie Shells (shelf stable non-refrigerated please)
Pie Fillings (pumpkin, lemon, apple)
Cakes/Cake Mixes and Frosting
Macaroni & Cheese
Families Served in Community Food Program
- For the year of 2020, a total of 25,636 food boxes were served to families.
- 5,305 new families in 2020, (and 13,961 new individuals)
- Due to Covid19 2020 Turkey Drive provided 1,508 households (3,326 individuals). Turkey Holiday Food boxes came through our partnership with the Kansas Food Bank for a one day only distribution.
- For Turkey Drive 2021, Donations and Food side items will be collected on Friday, November 19, 2021.
- November and December are high usage months. Approximately 2,200 families will seek help on distribution day, the three days before Thanksgiving.
Poverty and Hunger Stats:
In Sedgwick County, 16.5% of families with children younger than 18 years old live below the poverty level. In Wichita, the percentage is 19.2% (US Census). Families in Wichita and other communities in Kansas are having to make choices between buying food and paying their rent or mortgage. 15% of Kansans are “Food Insecure”, 15.9% in Sedgwick County (Kansas Food Bank).
What your cash donation will buy:
$12 will buy one case of bread stuffing
$15 will buy one case of vegetables
$17 will help buy one case of fruit
$25 will buy one case of canned meat
$38 will feed five children
$120 will feed a family of 3 or $114 will feed 3 families
Thank you for helping fight hunger and giving a holiday meal to those in need!